Dan Lita’s Brain Injury Storyboard
This page is named in honor of our dear friend, Dan Lita, who was an active participant in BIC-NW. Dan inspired us to share our stories in order to encourage others and to simply “know each other better”. He led by example and was an encouragement to us all.
If you would like to share your experiences with readers on our website, or even just with friends or family, we would love to hear from you and we will help you put your story in writing.
- First, it’s difficult to know where to begin. April 16, 1981 There were 5 of us and we had driven from Ft. Myers, Florida to Orlando, Florida, with plans to spend the next day at Disney World. After spending at least 16, perhaps 18, hours at Disney World, and in the hot Florida sun, we decided it was time to head home. ...Read more
- What your life was like before your brain injury? I finished college and wasn’t sure what I wanted to do, but I knew I wanted to go someplace new and have new experiences. So, I began thinking about teaching English in Europe. My mom and I had traveled to Budapest, Hungary the summer before and I loved it. So, I found ...Read more
- What was your life like before your brain injury? I was an adjunct professor at Concordia University, teaching chemical dependency and addictive behaviors. I just got a loan to open up an adult care home, I was working evenings at a DUI program for Treatment Services Northwest, and I was also taking care of my mother in my home. March 13, ...Read more
- The brain injury was on June 23, 2015. We were moving back to Oregon after a year in Kentucky. I had the whole house packed up, everything was on a truck headed for Oregon, and I was returning the cable box because that's what you do when you move...Read more
- February last year, I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, so my urologist and I decided that we'd do the surgery, and on May 21st I had my prostate out. By the end of June, I was feeling great. I was hiking again and cutting firewood...Read more